Opening collaboration for community-driven scholarly communication
24–26 April 2024, Zadar, Croatia
The European Council called in May 2023 for transparent, equitable, and open access to scholarly publications. For European public research and innovation actors, scholarly knowledge is a public good. Publicly funded research and its results should be immediately and openly available without barriers such as subscription fees or paywalls. This is essential in driving knowledge forward, promoting innovation and tackling social issues.
OPERAS welcomes this Council Conclusion that fits with our aim to make Open Science a reality for Social Sciences and Humanities, and we are convinced we can only achieve this with collaboration, opening collaboration for community-driven scholarly communication.
This conference is organised by the OPERAS-PLUS project to support the development of the OPERAS Research Infrastructure, supporting open scholarly communication for Social Sciences and Humanities in the European Research Area and to open up collaboration and facilitate exchange.
The OPERAS Conference aims to be a discussion hub in which different stakeholders such as researchers, decision-makers, publishers, librarians, and institutional service providers can share and compare their take on the current scholarly communication system and their vision for a sustainable future. The OPERAS conference will address issues relevant to the Social Sciences and Humanities field in the Open Science paradigm involving equitable publishing, multilingualism, bibliodiversity, and other related topics.
We want to discuss transparent, equitable publishing in a broad context and welcome presentations, workshops and posters focusing on the following issues:
- Open collaboration for scholar-led publishing
- Open Science policies and strategies
- Sustaining the open scholarly communication infrastructure
- Open Access usage data and metadata: exchange, aggregation, curation
- Publication and data: citation, visualisation, licences
- Scholarly communication support and services for citizen science
- Multilingualism and collaboration
- Equitable publishing models
- Engagement and collaboration within research communities
- Research assessment and peer review
- Innovative services, tools and technologies supporting Open Science and emerging trend in Open Science and publishing
We invite you to send in abstracts on topics for 15-minute presentations, 90-minute workshops and poster presentations. The abstracts should be no longer than 300 words. We also ask for a short biographical note and a picture (if accepted, to be published on the conference page).
All submissions should be uploaded to the EasyChair Conference Tool. Before you submit, you need to register for the EasyChair or use your credentials if you already have it from previous conferences.
Accepted submissions should be presented at the conference venue in Zadar, either as:
- a talk up to 15 min,
- workshop, up to 90 minutes,
- poster presentation
All types of presentations are delivered in the English language. OPERAS Conference will publish all accepted abstracts, presentations slides, posters in pdf on the Zenodo, under the CC-BY-4.0 licence.
IMPORTANT DATES (for all submission types)
- Abstract submission deadline:
25 September 2023New date: 14 October 2023
- Abstract acceptance notification: 10 November 2023
- Revised abstract deadline: 1 December 2023
There is no registration fee. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the conference team at operas-conference[a]unizd.hr.
If you wish to spread the word about the OPERAS Conference, please use #OPERAS2024 and you can tag us @operaseu
- OPERAS Scientific Advisory Committee
- International Advisory Board (DIAMAS and CRAFT-OA)
- Palomera Scientific Advisory Committee
- COESO Scientific Advisory Committee
Conference Programme Committee
- Michael Kaiser, Executive Assembly, Max Weber Stiftung, Bonn
- Jadranka Stojanovski, Executive Assembly, University of Zadar
- Franjo Pehar, Executive Assembly, University of Zadar
- Suzanne Dumouchel, OPERAS Coordination Team, CNRS
- Pierre Mounier, OPERAS Coordination Team, OpenEdition
- Judith Schulte, OPERAS Coordination Team, Max Weber Stiftung
- Drahomira Cupar, OPERAS Coordination Team, University of Zadar
- Karla Avanço, OPERAS Community Manager
- Mark Huskisson, Assembly of the Commons Co-Chair, PKP